[ipxe-devel] https does not work - but only on a single system

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu May 9 15:22:57 UTC 2013

On Thursday 09 May 2013 15:06:35 Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
>   I have an idea for displaying better error messages. Can ipxe try to
> convert error code to error message on ipxe homepage? If http network is
> available, can it try it? There are lots of errors in ipxe, which are
> confusing.

iPXE already gives you a URL (such as http://ipxe.org/022ae23c) which takes
you to a page giving you a full description, a link to the precise line of
code which generated that specific error, and a place where anyone can add
notes describing causes and solutions for that specific problem.  Personally, I
think that's about as clear as it could possibly get.

I don't think that attempting to use HTTP to retrieve error details would be a
good idea:

- it won't work on networks that are not directly connected to the public
Internet

- it omits most of the useful functionality of the existing error page (i.e.
the "possible sources" links, any links to relevant documentation, and the
"additional notes" editable text section)

- it introduces a possible failure into a failure path (i.e. we may fail to
retrieve the error message).  This is almost always a bad idea; code that
executes on a failure path should never itself be able to fail.