[ipxe-devel] menu & serial console

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 00:40:15 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 05 Mar 2013 21:00:53 Leo Baltus wrote:
> I tried using iPXE over a serial line using a menu.
> The output looks garbled and input like using arrow keys does not seem to
> work. Is this a tested and supported set-up?
> <snip>
> I used console redirection to serial by the BIOS.

The problem is that you have both iPXE and the BIOS's console redirection
attempting to control the serial port.  At a minimum, you'll get two copies of
each character; after you add in the various control codes typically generated
by BIOS console redirection, the result will look inexplicably garbled.

You need to either disable CONSOLE_SERIAL, or disable the BIOS's console
redirection.

You'll get more predictable results by disabling the BIOS's console
redirection and leaving CONSOLE_SERIAL enabled; iPXE produces standard ANSI
escape sequences that should work (including colours, menus, etc) on pretty
much any serial terminal software.  BIOS console redirection tends to be more
limited, and often doesn't cope well with things such as colour changes and
cursor movement.