[ipxe-devel] DHCP failing on Intel 82579V Gigabit [8086:1503] after PXE boot]

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 16:45:40 UTC 2013

On 05/03/13 15:31, Robin Smidsrød wrote:
>> In the longer term, I think the optimal solution would be to fix up
>> ipxe.kpxe (which isn't currently a sensible build target) so that it can
>> use a native driver if present, falling back to the UNDI driver if
>> necessary.  This would allow native iPXE drivers to be used instead of
>> the UNDI driver where possible, which should obviate the need for this
>> hack.
>
> I would very much like to know what is missing for this thing you
> suggest here to actually work. Because it does seem to be an even better
> "default" chainloader than undionly.kpxe currently is, as it would
> include fallback if native drivers aren't available.

We need a sensible plan for conditionally unloading the PXE stack if and
only if the underlying UNDI driver corresponds to a device for which we
have a native driver.  This doesn't fit neatly into the current driver
model, since PCI and "undionly" are treated as completely independent buses.

We would probably want to start out by attaching the underlying UNDI
driver as an UNDI device, and provide some mechanism to allow
drivers/bus/pci.c to detach any drivers currently attached to the same
physical device whenever it finds a native driver.  I haven't yet
thought of an elegant way to do this, or about the potential complications.