[ipxe-devel] Two problems/bugs in iPXE related to multiple NICs

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Tue Mar 5 14:34:13 UTC 2013

On 05.03.2013 14:58, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 13/02/13 09:20, Robin Smidsrød wrote:
>> And yes, we don't have the habit of tagging stable releases, as all
>> releases on the master branch are considered stable. Development happens
>> on other clones. This apparently causes a lot of confusion for users.
>> Maybe it'd be wise to tag releases once every few months just to show
>> that there is forward motion in the project. What do you think, Michael?
>
> What do you think of the idea of just having strict monthly releases?  I
> already update the various parts of the iPXE CA infrastructure on the
> first of each month; this could be done at the same time.

As the master branch is supposed to be stable anyway, I think a stable
release number every month could be a good thing. It would show forward
momentum.

+1 from me.

If we use semantic versioning as explained on http://semver.org/, then
we'd normally just increment the Z part of the X.Y.Z version string. And
if any particular month introduces a particularly important change, we
could increment the Y. If we break back-compat in any way, we increment
X. Technically, the change we did with how to deal with ANSI codes
should've required an increment of X.

That is what the page I pointed to in essence says, and I'd urge
everyone that release software to read it and make up their mind about
how to version their own code.

-- Robin