[ipxe-devel] Booting a Mac into WDS with ipxe.usb (was: Re: gPXE or iPXE on USB)

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 23:32:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Robin Smidsrød <robin at smidsrod.no> wrote:
> On 19.06.2013 21:03, Yadin Flammer wrote:

>> Anyway, now that I can actually get the .usb cloned to USB, I face a
>> different set of issues.
>>
>> Some Mac systems simply will not see the drive as bootable, others
>> will.  I suspect this has to do with the vintage of the firmware and the
>> type of file system that's being written to the drive.  For those that
>> will boot from it, here's what fails:
>
> I've heard on the list a while back that some Macs boot in legacy/BIOS
> mode when booting with CD, but boot in UEFI mode when booting using USB.
> If that is the case on your Mac, then no amount of trying to write the
> BIOS version of iPXE to a USB stick will work.

I'm fairly certain that the Intel macs will only do an EFI boot from
USB, see the large quantities of people that are unable to boot from
USB optical media...

If I needed to install Windows to a large number of Intel Apple
computers, I would probably look at using DeployStudio instead
http://wiki.afp548.com/index.php/Create_a_Boot_Camp_image.

As an alternative to using an Apple server for NetBoot, you might take
a look at this https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3849

Cheers

Arne