[ipxe-devel] iSCSI boot from SAN issue w/ iPXE Equallogic and vlan

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Jun 18 16:42:33 UTC 2013

On Monday 17 Jun 2013 11:17:24 Thomas Pöhler wrote:
> Therefore we are using our standard NIC with PXE booting undionly.kpxe
> which then logs in the disk to boot.
>
> Without a tagged vlan this is working flawless. When we try to boot it over
> a tagged vlan the following happens:

Most likely cause is that the underlying UNDI driver configures the NIC for a
frame size of 1514 bytes, which doesn't allow enough space for the 4-byte VLAN
header.  Shorter packets will be received OK, but as soon as you try to read a
maximum-length packet (i.e. as soon as grub starts reading multiple sectors
per request) then the NIC will appear to stop receiving.

To use VLANs, your best option is probably to try using a native iPXE driver
(ipxe.pxe rather than undionly.kpxe).