[ipxe-devel] iSCSI boot from SAN issue w/ iPXE Equallogic and vlan

Thomas Pöhler tp at turtle-entertainment.de
Mon Jun 17 10:17:24 UTC 2013

Hey Guys,

we are using a Dell Equallogic iSCSI SAN Appliance to serve our volumes. We
want to get rid of expensive Qlogic iscsi HBAs to boot from SAN.

Therefore we are using our standard NIC with PXE booting undionly.kpxe
which then logs in the disk to boot.

Without a tagged vlan this is working flawless. When we try to boot it over
a tagged vlan the following happens:

* ipxe successfully logs in iscsi disk
* "Grub loading"
* Read error

Debuglog: https://gist.github.com/tommics/5795964

On the Equallogic we see "iSCSI initiator connection failure. Connection
was closed by peer". Keep in mind there is no general problem with
Equallogic, this only happens when we use "vcreate" and then autoboot
net0-3. If we configure the switch to send the same vlan untagged there is
no problem.

Our boot script looks like this:

#!ipxe

prompt --key 0x02 --timeout 2000 Press Ctrl-B for the iPXE command line...
&& shell ||
vcreate --tag 3 net0
autoboot net0-3

Somehow it looks like it might have something to do with the redirection
equallogic is doing:

* ipxe login to group ip
* equallogic gives redirection ip to ipxe
* ipxe should relogin under new ip

This is how i understand it.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I would be glad to help further
debugging.

Best Regards

--
Turtle Entertainment GmbH