[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] gpxe on USB or HD

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Fri Jun 14 09:01:08 UTC 2013

On 14.06.2013 05:59, Yadin Flammer wrote:
> hmm... in that case perhaps a small note on the instructions for those
> not as heavily versed in unix (or reading and thinking that close) might
> help?  Say adding "Note this is not /dev/sdXX as seen in fdisk -l which
> would be a partition, JUST /dev/sdX which is the device without a
> partition number." or something to that effect.  I also noticed the
> website and everyone here says to use dd, but the instructions displayed
> at the end of the make operation say to use something different (which
> also didn't work for me, but I was again leaving on a partition number)
> so some consistency might again help the neophyte not get tripped up.

Hopefully the explanation I mentioned on
http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=6950&pid=9303#pid9303 should be
a bit clearer on that topic. I also suggest using /dev/disk/by-id/* to
make it easier to identify the actual disk (not partition).

The output after make suggests using "cat" instead of "dd". They are
both tools that write bits from one location to another, they just have
slightly different syntax to do it. Either way works.

-- Robin