[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] gpxe on USB or HD

Yadin Flammer yxf4 at psu.edu
Fri Jun 14 02:18:39 UTC 2013

As I have mentioned previously, using dd to clone the .usb file to the
usb key results in a blank usb key (sdc1).  On the off chance that the
entire contents were invisible for some reason, I tried to boot it
anyway, and simply got a black screen with nothing at all.  Per your
other email request, a little more detail:

We have a Windows DHCP server which passes PXE to our WDS server.
WDS has several boot and restore images available, which all work fine
when PXE booting a Dell system normally.
The purpose of iPXE (previously gPXE) is to be able to PXE boot Mac
systems and use this restore functionality.
This works perfectly when booting gPXE from CD made from the ISO.  As
USB is more convenient, and not all Mac systems have an optical drive, I
tried to get this working on USB.

When attempting to use the iPXE ISO on CD, you get as far as choosing
the PXE boot image to boot from, and then the boot process (loading
windows progress bar at the bottom) simply never moves.  This indicates
an issue with iPXE that does not exist with gPXE.  I'm happy to go with
iPXE if gPXE is simply not going to be workable, but we may need to
actually get iPXE working on CD then before we move on to USB.
When attempting to boot USB made via dd, you get nothing at all, just
black.  If you try this same USB on a Dell, you get non system disk or
disk error, cntl+alt+del to reboot.  Both behaviors are consistent with
a blank volume which indicates the files aren't invisible, they just
aren't there.  This would indicate to me either dd in Ubuntu 12LTS is
broken in some way, or the source .usb file is empty.  A utility on
Windows that is supposed to be able to open .usb files says it's corrupt
or the wrong format.

As a fallback, since you can copy the contents of a bootable WinPE ISO
to a USB stick and simply boot it, I thought I'd try that with gPXE/iPXE.
When attempting to boot a USB device made by copying the CD files to
USB, you get a black screen with GRUB and a flashing _ in the corner and
that's it, nothing further happens.  I'm guessing this might be due to
incorrect pointers for the device type since they are CD files on USB?
When attempting to boot a HD with the CD files copied to it, you're told
something like no system files found (I don't have it in front me me
this moment) which again I assume is some device pointer issue.

Hope this helps flesh out the issues and guide some ideas what we might
try to get things working.
Cheers,
Yadin

   Yadin Flammer - Systems Administrator
   College of Arts & Architecture, Penn State University
   228 Borland Building              Office Phone: 814-865-0990
   University Park, PA 16802         Dept. Phone:  814-865-1571
   Email: yxf4 at psu.edu               Dept. Fax:    814-863-6227