[ipxe-devel] NFS4 support

Marin Hannache mareo at mareo.fr
Wed Jul 31 00:43:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:32:21AM +0200, Robin Smidsrød wrote:
> On 30.07.2013 03:00, Anton Starikov wrote:
> > I see that NFS support has been merged to the main repo, which is nice.
> >
> > But I have a question, are there any plans on the support of NFS4?
>
> NFS4 support was never part of the initial scope of the GSoC work.
> AFAIK, there are no plans to implement NFS4, mostly due to size
> constraints and developer time.
>
> Would you care to elaborate why NFS3 support is not sufficient for your
> use-case?
>
> Marin: Have you investigated the complexity of supporting NFS4?
>
> -- Robin

NFSv4 has a completly different logic then NFSv3 -- the server keep a "current
filehandle" that is not retrieved by the client, if I recall correctly -- but
is still based on ONC RPC, so a part of the work from my GSoC could be reused.

However full NFSv4.1 support would be a bit more difficult to implement
properly especially when referals and replicas are involved.

If someone is willing to implement it, I'll happily explain how my code works
if it is necessary. :)

--
Marin Hannache