[ipxe-devel] NFS4 support

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Jul 30 17:28:17 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| On 30.07.2013 03:00, Anton Starikov wrote:
| > I see that NFS support has been merged to the main repo, which is
| > nice.
| >
| > But I have a question, are there any plans on the support of NFS4?
|
| NFS4 support was never part of the initial scope of the GSoC work.
| AFAIK, there are no plans to implement NFS4, mostly due to size
| constraints and developer time.
|
| Would you care to elaborate why NFS3 support is not sufficient for
| your
| use-case?
|
| Marin: Have you investigated the complexity of supporting NFS4?
|
| -- Robin

NFSv4 has the benefit of using only one port (2049) whereas NFSv3 uses portmapper.  This makes it easy to firewall and route.  This is what I would be interested in, not sure of the OPs reasoning.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw