[ipxe-devel] help pushing iscsi targets with DHCP

Gruher, Joseph R joseph.r.gruher at intel.com
Thu Jul 25 15:11:23 UTC 2013

Thanks for the responses Matthew and Robin.  I do have a perfectly identical set of nodes and installing the OS on the iSCSI targets is not a problem, I've done it before, just using statically configured IPs and targets, and now I'd like to dynamically assign the targets.  I'm booting Linux on the clients.

Both responses suggest using a client-side iPXE script to solve the problem of dynamically assigning targets to the clients.  Perhaps that is the best approach then.  However, I was hoping to solve it on the DHCP server side so I could use the same general solution with clients using a BIOS iSCSI boot.

Is it possible to implement target assignment from the DHCP server side in dhcpd.conf, using the root-path option there (aka DHCP option 17)?

After doing some more reading last night it looks like it might at least be possible by using host or subclass statements, each having a unique root-path and being tied to a unique MAC, except then I have to capture all the client MAC addresses on the server.  It would be nice if I could just tell the server when it hands out 10.0.0.1 hand out the root path for target01, and 10.0.0.2 hand out target02, and so on, so I can just pair targets to IPs.  All the clients are identical so it doesn't actually matter if they get the same target every time and long as they each get a unique target.

Thanks,
Joe