[ipxe-devel] Weird issue booting to x64 WinPE 3.0 or 4.0 after mounting iSCSI disc

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 11:09:24 UTC 2013

On 01/07/13 19:33, Steve Cross wrote:
> I WOULD be willing to do a clean install to physical HDD and then
> transfer it to iSCSI, but every time I've tried in the past it's failed
> with the infamous inaccessible boot device error, so if that is my only
> option, maybe someone can give me some pointers on how to migrate an
> existing system from physical HDD to iSCSI.

Installing sanbootconf (http://git.ipxe.org/release/sanbootconf/) should
configure a system to be able to iSCSI-boot from any NIC installed at
the time you run the sanbootconf installer.

> Now I just have to wait for it
> to install which is going to take forever since it's sending all traffic
> through my router (since I'm not chainloading through DHCP, I can't
> specify the direct address of the iSCSI server and my router only has a
> 100mbit card...

If iPXE only needs to communicate with the local network, then you can
work around this Windows bug using

   set net0/gateway 0.0.0.0

before doing the sanhook/sanboot.