[ipxe-devel] iPXE Boot

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Tue Jul 2 22:44:25 UTC 2013

On 02.07.2013 22:47, Russ, Danny L. (KSC-ESC-622)[QinetiQ North America
- ESC] wrote:
> I work at Kennedy Space Center in Florida and we are currently using
> GPXE in some automation with DRBL and Clonezilla to image machines on
> our network.  Currently the version of gPXE that we are using does not
> seem to be compatible with our IBM Blade Centers using UEFI.  I would
> like to build a .lkrn image that would work on these blades so that we
> can boot DHCP to our DRBL server for imaging from within the GRUB boot
> loader.  I couldn't seem to find any documentation on the website on how
> this would be accomplished.  Any help or guidance would be greatly
> appreciated.

UEFI support in iPXE is still experimental and should not be used in a
production setting quite yet. You'll need to run those blades in a
legacy BIOS configuration to make them work properly with iPXE. If you
do that you should be able to follow all of the relevant tutorials on
how to run a typical linux kernel+initrd in iPXE (which is what your
DRBL setup is using, I assume). See http://ipxe.org/cmd/kernel and
http://ipxe.org/cmd/initrd for the necessary details. You might also
find some of the pointers in http://ipxe.org/examples useful.

-- Robin