[ipxe-devel] Weird issue booting to x64 WinPE 3.0 or 4.0 after mounting iSCSI disc

Steve Cross hairlesshobo at stevecross.org
Mon Jul 1 22:54:54 UTC 2013

No way that I know of. I was able to get Win7x64 installed using a usb
stick and a PCI-e card, then once it was installed I found that there is a
registry key that can be modified that will allow you to switch which
ethernet card the iSCSI device is expected to boot from. Well, from my
understanding making this change allows you to use ANY ethernet card in the
machine (current or future) as the card that boots iSCSI. This could be
handy for people on the list to know about. The knowledge base article I
found on Microsoft is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2507616 but the gist
of it is to open regedit, browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\
Network\{4d36e974-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\{B70D6460-3635-4D42-B866-B8AB1A24454C}\Ndi
and change FilterRunType to "2" instead of "1". It has something to do with
the NDIS filter in Windows Vista+ that causes this problem. I made this
change and then it was able to boot right into the system using the Marvell
onboard card. It says that you are supposed to change it back to 1 after
boot and then modify the NDIS LWF filters on your network cards, but I
didn't bother with that and just left it at 2. If I problems with it, then
I'll go from there.

Also apparently they have a couple hotfixes available, but I'm not sure
what exactly they are for and since my system boots as is, I am going to
leave it alone. Personally, I'm gonna export that NDI change to a registry
file and have it on hand should I ever need to do this again.

One perk of doing iSCSI, i was able to skip like 6 steps because I simply
mounted the iSCSI drive on my laptop and then mounted the registry hive
there instead of having to boot to recovery mode.

Long story short, your suggestion of using a different card did the trick
and I WAS able to find a way to switch cards after the installation. Thanks
for the suggestions and I hope my findings help someone else in the future.

PS to Robin: This registry key and/or knowledge base link may be handy to
put on your network booting site that you are working on cause it sure
saved my butt :D

*Steve Cross*
hairlesshobo at stevecross.org