[ipxe-devel] building for use virtualbox

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Sat Jan 26 19:57:19 UTC 2013

On 24.01.2013 18:09, Andrew Bobulsky wrote:
> If you are indeed having build-related problems, I wouldn't be able to
> help you much, but I wanted to write as I've experienced this before.
>  Virtualbox includes a version of iPXE that has very limited protocol
> support, and it is the default PXE ROM in every vbox VM I have used.
>  If, for some reason, your attempt to inject the ROM into your
> Virtualbox VM's configuration didn't work, it would load the built-in
> version instead, and while you'd be loading iPXE (which would /look
> /like a successful implementation, but of course is just the old,
> built-in ROM loading).  That built-in iPXE splash screen looks like
> this: http://i.imgur.com/gfVjURG.png

If you use the vboxmanage command to replace the built-in pxe rom in
vbox with the one built from the ipxe source you're most likely getting
the bundled ipxe from vbox, not the one you compiled. I have tried a
bunch of alternatives to make it load a custom ROM, but I've been
unsuccessful so far. If you figure it out, please report back.

-- Robin