[ipxe-devel] FATAL: int13_eltorito: call with AX=4d00. Please report

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 02:08:41 UTC 2013

On Thursday 03 Jan 2013 01:36:30 Shao Miller wrote:
> Sorry, I wasn't paying close enough attention.  I actually don't fully
> understand how int13_load_eltorito() can ever be expected to work
> without iPXE already driving the optical disc drive using, for example,
> an ATAPI driver. :)

The code in int13_load_eltorito() is intended to allow iPXE to boot from one
of its own SAN drives.  The fact that "sanboot --drive XX" can be (ab)used to
boot from a local disk is just an unofficial side benefit.

One possible hackish workaround for this particular scenario would be to SAN-
boot from an ISO which matches the local CD-ROM.  The SAN boot would provide
access via INT 13, and the loaded OS would find the (identical) local CD-ROM
after starting the kernel.

Unless I'm missing something, it's probably a better idea to just use wimboot.