[ipxe-devel] DNS resolution runs into timeout

Sven Dreyer sven at dreyer-net.de
Fri Dec 6 10:34:26 UTC 2013

Hi Michael,

I just realized that my latest iPXE build runs into a timeout (error
4c116035) when it tries to resolve a hostname.

Accessing HTTP URLs with hostnames fail, HTTP URLs with IP addresses
work. This applies to both dhcpd's "filename" directive as well as to
scripting (e.g. "chain http://foo.bar/script.ipxe").

According to git-bisect, the first bad commit is
6248894f52b5794970292ea40f68fe0c892eafec ([dns] Add support for
resolving IPv6 addresses via AAAA records).

In my local network, I use IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 is assigned via
isc-dhcpd, IPv6 via radvd and wide-dhcpv6-server.

The hostnames in question resolve to IPv4 A records. There are no IPv6
AAAA entries for them.

If there is anything I can help with, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Sven