[ipxe-devel] iPXE Usage with 10GbE HBA

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Tue Aug 27 07:01:56 UTC 2013

On 26.08.2013 21:46, Anton Starikov wrote:
> I use ipxe on X520-DA2. But in my case ipxe is supplied by DHCP, so I can not say much about booting it from USB.

Is that your way of saying that you use undionly.kpxe chainloaded from
vendor PXE? In that case, you're not really using iPXE drivers.

> In my case it is compiled from git repo, commit 31f5211035cf0434a1b5043f707ecd2316d4a18c.

You should be able to quickly gauge which devices are supported by the
intelx driver by running this command from the git checkout:

src/util/niclist.pl --format csv | grep intelx

If you chainload http://boot.salstar.sk/lspci you should also be able to
quickly see what devices are in your machine. That should make it
trivial to verify if it is supported.

If the PCI vendor/device id is not in the niclist.pl list then you can
try to add a PCI_ROM() line in intelx.c and recompile and see if it
works. If it doesn't, the card might need some slight modifications to
the driver to work.

Remember to build like this if you want to capture an image of the issue:

make bin/ipxe.usb DEBUG=intelx

-- Robin