[ipxe-devel] warning about variable type

Christian Hesse list at eworm.de
Mon Aug 26 12:43:21 UTC 2013

Hello everybody,

it took me some time to get an idea why I could not save an integer value to
the variable 'key' (this does not raise an error, it simply fails in the
background) and increment it (this gives "Operation not supported"). The
problem is that 'key' is used for the wireless encryption key when wireless
extensions are built in. Its type ist string.

So would it make any sense to print an error when writing an integer value to
a string variabel?

And even more interesting... The error message "Operation not supported" is
not very verbose. Something like "Can not increment string" would make more
sense. I support I would have found my problem a lot earlier then.
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Chris           get my mail address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)