[ipxe-devel] IBM X3690 - BNX2

Alexander Prokopyev info at aulix.com
Thu Aug 1 12:26:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

First of all,
Thank you very much for your excellent program which works fine on
almost all my hardware.

I have found an incompatibility of your iPXE software with IBM X3690 server.
There is BNX2 and UEFI
I have disabled almost all ROMs and set boot from "Lecacy Only" + PXE.

Please note, the same config works fine with a ESXI VM and IBM Blade HS22.

The iPXE program starts but then during running my script
It displays the card has been initialized and then
dhcp displays something like "connection timeout" (though I do not
remember the message exactly)
and then the curors starts to blink in many places of the screen
moving very fast
anb it looks like there are many about 20-30 cursors, the program does
not respond at this time
(may be except ctrl-alt-del if I remember correct)

If I remember correct shell and config does not see any net0, etc.
everything seems blank.
BUT after exiting from the shell manually it continues the script and
DHCP already works, net appears, able to sanboot.

It is embedded script because running from grub4dos there is another
different problem.
And this IBM X3690 server boots fine by PXE protocol with a help of
pxelinux.0 and grub4dos, but I need to setup iBFT
(I prefer iBFT over iscsi kernel parameters)

So the only current solution I have found accidently is to call shell
at the beginning of the script and then
manually exit from shell, then it works fine.
May be it is possible at least to automate enter and exit from shell
as a fast workaround to
avoid coming to remote server each time?

Thank you,
Alexander