[ipxe-devel] Entering String in menu-context possible?

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 07:17:02 UTC 2013

Hello Michael, Oliver,

On Apr 11, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 Apr 2013 17:16:11 Oliver Rath wrote:
>> Is it possible to offer an input-field in menu for entering this? The
>> "read"-command comes imho at the bottom of the screen and leaves the
>> menu. But the "config"-command brings a much more good looking
>> possibility for entering text. Is this mechanism usable for own issues?
>
> Not directly, no.  However, you can use ANSI escape sequences to position the
> cursor and set the foreground and background colours immediately before
> issuing the "read" command.
>
> Michael

So... Are we talking like a crude hack, or can we toss a metric ton of
ANSI insanity at iPXE to (hopefully) land somewhere between a nice
looking multi-entry custom config menu and a warez demo file?

I ask because if its possible to generate a... Um...
Bizarre-but-functional version of what Oliver is looking for, it'd
probably be worth documenting.  We had this question show up a few
months ago, too, so it'll likely help out if this becomes a FAQ.  :)

Cheers,
Andrew