[ipxe-devel] Regression with commit fc87adb46c1395b09302085e9d15fcd8ab3c31fe - [efi] Expose downloaded images via EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL on IMAGE_EFI

Joshua C. joshuacov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 13:41:43 UTC 2013

2013/4/10 Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk>

> On 10/04/13 12:59, Joshua C. wrote:
>
>>     You can build a PC BIOS version of iPXE (e.g. bin/rtl8139.rom).
>>       This will work under a PC BIOS, and will be able to run PXE,
>>     bzImage, Multiboot, and various other (non-EFI) binaries.
>>
>>     You can build an EFI version of iPXE (e.g.
>>     bin-x86_64-efi/rtl8139.efirom)**__.  This will work under EFI, and
>>
>>     will be able to run EFI binaries.
>>
>> I see, thanks for the clarification! I have one more question: if i
>> build both binaries and concatenate them with './util/catrom.pl
>> <http://catrom.pl> bin/rtl8139.rom bin-x86_64-efi/rtl8139.efirom >
>>
>> combined.rom' will this new image be possible to run on both the efi and
>> bios systems?
>>

> Yes, it should work.  There is a byte in the ROM header which indicates
> the platform type; both BIOS and EFI should scan through the available ROMs
> within the expansion ROM BAR to find the appropriate ROM image.
>
> Michael

One last thing (I'm sorry for hijacking this thread):
Based on your post here:
http://lists.ipxe.org/pipermail/ipxe-devel/2011-December/001062.html which
image should I build - efi, efirom, efidrv? Can I concatenate this image
with the pcbios-image and will this image be automatically loaded when the
system is started in uefi mode?

Do you know where I can read more about the differences between those
images? Do they have the same functionality?

--
--joshua