[ipxe-devel] Regression with commit fc87adb46c1395b09302085e9d15fcd8ab3c31fe - [efi] Expose downloaded images via EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL on IMAGE_EFI

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sat Apr 6 09:58:43 UTC 2013

On 06/04/13 10:52, Joshua C. wrote:
> Actually I'm built the rom image and wanted to test this before flasing
> it. As I said my platform supports efi and I'd like to have the efi
> support so that i can load and boot an efi image when stil in POST. This
> should be possible since I'm starting the shell once ipxe has initilized
> (I've done this in the past: redirect the shell to an efi image). That's
> why I'd like to have the ef support build in in the rom.

To build an EFI ROM, you need to use a build command such as:

   make bin-x86_64-efi/rtl8139.efirom

This will give you an iPXE EFI ROM; you'll see it show up as "EFI
Network" in the EFI boot device selection screen, and it should
thereafter look and feel similar to normal iPXE.

There is no such thing as a non-EFI (aka BIOS or "legacy") ROM which is
capable of loading an EFI image.  Such a thing simply does not and can
not exist.

If your expansion ROM is sufficiently large, then you can include both
EFI and BIOS ROMs in the same ROM image.  To do this, you need to build
both versions:

   make bin/rtl8139.rom bin-x86_64-efi/rtl8139.efirom

and then concatenate them using the catrom.pl utility:

   ./util/catrom.pl bin/rtl8139.rom bin-x86_64-efi/rtl8139.efirom >
combined.rom