[ipxe-devel] booting XenServer fails with "Segment does not fit into available memory"

Radoslaw Smigielski Radoslaw.Smigielski at eu.citrix.com
Thu Nov 15 19:07:38 UTC 2012

Hi,
   I am involved in a project of booting XenServer which is an commercial version of xen hypervisor from iPXE.

This is how we specydy the kernel, xen hypervisor needs to have passed dom0 (control domain) kernel and initrd of dom0 as arguments:

kernel /xen/boot/xen.gz dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_mem=752M com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,vga --- /xen/boot/vmlinuz xencons=hvc console=hvc0 console=tty0 answerfile=http://10.0.0.123/xenserver0001answer.php install --- /xen/boot/install.img boot

and this is what we saw:

> /xen/boot/xen.gz ........OK
> Could not boot, requested memory not available.
> Could not boot image, requested memory not available.

So I pulled latest iPXE sources from git and compiled undionly with  DEBUG=segment and this gives me a little bit more:

> /xen/boot/xen. gz...
> Preparing segment [7c00, 9a0f3, 9a8f3)
> Segment [7c00,9a0f3,9a0f3) does not fit into available memory
> Could not boot: Requested eory not available (http://ipxe.org/4603B1O1)
> Could not boot iMage: Requested eory not available (http://ipxe.org/46O3B1O1)
> No more network devices

Any advice appreciated,