[ipxe-devel] DHCP failing on Intel 82579V Gigabit [8086:1503] after PXE boot]

Thomas Miletich thomas.miletich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:38:10 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Suggested solutions welcome.

And the issue with always enabling polling is with buggy PXE stacks
that will behave unexpectedly when polled before any interrupt was
generated?

How about some heuristic involving a timeout. Expect IRQs to work, but
enable polling if there were none generated in a reasonable amount of
time?
No idea how practical that would be or if there's any way to reliably
trigger an interrupt.

I wonder how other NBPs cope with this without breaking compatibility
with other PXE stacks. I'm afraid I'm pretty useless at reverse
engineering such things though.

I'm sure you have thought about this yourself already and there's
probably a reason why it's not implemented yet. Though I'd ask though.

Thomas