[ipxe-devel] ipxe fails to find Realtek card

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Sun May 27 09:34:58 UTC 2012

On 27.05.2012 03:06, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On 05/26/2012 05:59 PM, Dave Hansen wrote:

>>> A build with DEBUG=realtek:3 active should probably generate a useful
>>> log (via serial console) that would probably shed some light on things.
>>
>> I can see what I can get off of the display, but this hardware doesn't
>> have a serial port.  Is there any other way to get a debug log out?
>
> The log wasn't long, so I just took a snapshot:
>
> 	http://sr71.net/~dave/foo/ipxe.debug.0.JPG

That was very useful. Looking at http://ipxe.org/err/4c634035 in
combination with the image, does seem to indicate indeed that the MII
reset (or write) doesn't function properly with this card.

I'm sure Michael will find this information quite useful in tracking
down the issue (as he was the one who reimplemented the driver a couple
of months ago).

I see from the image that it looks like a Lenovo laptop, so I'm guessing
this is an onboard network card of some kind. That is most likely why
you get the message "...seems to have no EEPROM".

If you have the opportunity to come on IRC and do a debug session at
some point I'm sure Michal would appreciate that. He might need to try
multiple solutions to solve this issue.

-- Robin