[ipxe-devel] WinPE 3.0, boot with iSCSI target

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:22:01 UTC 2012

Hello Marek,

I find myself unable to load the gregorystrike.com domain you
reference in your email, so I'll try my best here at a solution for
you:

Double check the contents of your ISO file.  If you're attempting to
boot a flat WinPE ISO, where you see a \Windows and \Program Files
directory, while you *shouldn't* be experiencing an error reading the
BCD, it will fail at a later point in time.  Generally, you'll only be
able to SAN-Boot a WinPE ISO that extracts the PE from a .wim file,
usually located in \Sources\boot.wim.

Second, I'm guessing that you're attempting to install directly to an
iSCSI target.  You'll want to change your 'sanhook' directive to omit
the '--no-describe' option.  That option prevents the SAN disk from
being written into the iBFT, and as such it will not get passed to
your WinPE when it boots.  Also, you *may* have more success if you
mount the ISO as a drive letter more formally seen as an optical disk,
such as 0xE0.  As such, your new boot commands would look like:

dhcp
set keep-san 1
sanhook --drive 0x80 iscsi:192.168.146.132::::iqn.2012-01.local:win7disk
sanboot --drive 0xE0 --no-describe http://10.0.0.1/path.to.WinPE.iso

It's entirely possible that this might not work at all, or leave you
in the exact same situation.  But, I've had a few minor tweaks like
those resolve some issues with more stubborn machine BIOSes in the
past, and hope that it might work for you ;)

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky