[ipxe-devel] any details about the state of KEEP_IT_REAL?

Mark Gollahon mgollahon at exacq.com
Tue Jun 12 17:46:00 UTC 2012

Robin Smidsr?d <robin at smidsrod.no> wrote:

>On 11.06.2012 19:40, Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
>> So if iPXE wants to replace both Etherboot (which is also broken in this
>> respect) and Intel PXE in VirtualBox this apparently otherwise unused
>> feature will have to be resurrected. We're aware that this means kicking
>> out any feature which isn't vital, and that's not a concern since in the
>> worst case the people who need a more feature rich iPXE build can
>> replace the ROM image, or use the simple one to bootstrap a build over
>> the network which has everything enabled.
>
>I was actually trying to replace the ROM image in VirtualBox (Windows 7
>x64 host), but I've not been successful with the paravirtualized or
>intel-emulated adapters. Only the AMD pcnet network adapter seems to
>work with an iPXE ROM. That is kinda boring, since I want an emulated
>gigabit adapter, and not just 100Mbit.

I got iPXE to work with VBox's virtio driver.  Used a git fetch from 24
January, 2012; followed the instructions on iPXE's website; used a
console.h file that has:

#undef CONSOLE_SERIAL

and a general.h file that has:

/* Virtualbox BIOS needs this for iPXE to work correctly */
#define NONPNP_HOOK_INT19

/* Not using PXE menus since they are limited to TFTP-only */
#undef PXE_MENU

/* Dump Fibre Channel and Inifiniband functionality */
#undef FCMGMT_CMD
#undef NET_PROTO_FCOE
#undef SANBOOT_PROTO_FCP
#undef SANBOOT_PROTO_IB_SRB

/* No need for SAN boot functionality */
/* Virtualbox has its own iSCSI initiator */
#undef SANBOOT_PCBIOS
#undef SANBOOT_PROTO_ISCSI
#undef SANBOOT_PROTO_AOE

/* Unwanted download protocols */
#undef DOWNLOAD_PROTO_HTTPS
#undef DOWNLOAD_PROTO_FTP
#undef DOWNLOAD_PROTO_TFTM
#undef DOWNLOAD_PROTO_SLAM

/* Unwanted image type support */
#undef IMAGE_MULTIBOOT
#undef IMAGE_COMBOOT
#undef IMAGE_AOUT
#undef IMAGE_WINCE

and built for virtio-net.

Obviously I had to cut out quite a bit of stuff to get the ROM size down to
where Virtualbox would load it....

Regards,