[ipxe-devel] [patch] preserve CPU in virtualized environment.

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 09:59:40 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 24 Jul 2012 02:26:41 Alessandro Salvatori wrote:
>   if the server is missing in action, one may want to retry at regular
> intervals (via sleep and goto) but until a download starts making
> progress, all that polling is a bit overkill, since we'd be just receiving
> a few seldom packets.

Thanks for clarifying.

iPXE already calls cpu_nap() during sleep_exec(); it should use almost no CPU
in the middle of a "sleep"

However, in the process of investigating this, I was surprised to discover
that iPXE doesn't call cpu_nap() while waiting for user input (e.g. at the
shell prompt).  This is now fixed:

  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/183a70e