[ipxe-devel] [tg3] iPXE has major networking issues on recent iMac

Calvin Owens jcowens at smu.edu
Fri Jul 20 17:25:10 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I'm having issues getting a recent Intel iMac to boot over PXE. The problem seems
to be that the DHCP requests never reach the wire. Running tcpdump on the
server, I see no traffic at all from iPXE.

Trying to boot manually (with a staticly set IP) doesn't work either - iPXE sends
ARP requests repeatedly, apparently ignoring the server's replies. iPXE apparently
responds to the server's ARP request, but pinging iPXE from the server never gets
a reply. The "RX" count reported by "ifstat" is always zero.

The ethernet NIC's PCI ID is 14e4:16b4. (MAC prefix 40:6c:8f)
This was tested on v1.0.0-1043-g23b7032, the git HEAD as of yesterday evening. I
also tried the pre-built ISO on your website, with the same result.

This issue has been raised before:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ipxe-devel@lists.ipxe.org/msg01205.html

Let me know if I can provide any more information.

Cheers,
Calvin Owens