[ipxe-devel] memtest as a PXE NBP

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Sun Jul 15 13:02:40 UTC 2012

On 12.07.2012 18:27, Michael Brown wrote:
> Something that might be of interest:
>
> I have created a modified version of memtest86+ which can be built as a PXE
> NBP.  The binary (memtest.0) can be loaded by iPXE, or by any other PXE stack.
>
> A precompiled binary is available from
>
>   http://boot.ipxe.org/memtest.0

I tried to use the precompiled version you made available, and if you
start it and then press ESC after it has started running it will return
with a falsy value, which I assume is intended behavior. But if you try
to start it again (from the same iPXE session), the memtest UI will
never appear and it will exit with a falsy value after a few seconds.

Are you able to reproduce this problem?

I used this script to test out the behavior:

:start
:diagnostics-menu
menu Diagnostic tools
item memtestnbp    Memtest86+ 4.20 (iPXE)
choose selected && goto ${selected} || goto start

:memtestnbp
chain ../memtest.0 passes=1 && set memtest GOOD || set memtest BAD
menu Your memory seems to be ${memtest}
item memtest-report   Report memtest results to web service
item diagnostics-menu Back to diagnostics menu...
choose --default diagnostics-menu selected && goto ${selected} || goto start

:memtest-report
chain
http://boot.smidsrod.lan/memtest-report.cgi?result=${memtest}&mac=${mac}&hostname=${hostname}
goto diagnostics-menu