[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] Booting FreeDOS - beginner question

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 14:18:19 UTC 2012

On Friday 13 Jan 2012 11:14:58 Ruzsinszky Attila wrote:
> <snip>
> Booting from root path
> "iscsi:192.168.52.60::::iqn.2010-12.hu.mavrt.bbf.fc:fdos-disk"
> Registered as BIOS drive 0x80
> Booting from BIOS drive 0x80
> Error loading operating system
>
> I "mounted" that disk under XP with iSCSI initiator without problem.
> The image was create from balder10 image and there are just a KERNEL.SYS
> and some inrelevant files and directories. I think the problem is related
> to the disk image which was created from balder10 image.
> The question: how can I make a bootable FreeDOS image under Linux and
> how can I check it in a virtual environment?

Firstly, please upgrade to iPXE.  gPXE is a dead project and is no longer
maintained.

Have you tried booting directly from your FreeDOS image (i.e. attaching it as
a "physical" disk within a VM, rather than using iSCSI)?  Make sure that the
image itself is bootable before attempting to boot via iSCSI.