[ipxe-devel] Load via EFI on Macs

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:58:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm attempting to netboot Linux on my Macs. I don't want to mess around with
boot cds, so I have to maket his work with the Macs EFI firmware.

The first problem I encountered with iPXE is that I don't see any output on
the screen. That's because Macs start in graphic mode. The attached
hack(inspired by Refit's textmode.efi) puts the firmware into text mode, so I
actually see something.

The next problem(for debugging purposes), is that Ctrl-B does not work. I
replaced the key with 'a', which allows me to bring up the iPXE shell.

The next issue is that iPXE doesn't find my network card. This seems to be a
regression, because it works fine with gPXE(I just filed to gPXE bugs before I
noticed that iPXE exists now). I tried the following builds:

make bin-i386-efi/ipxe.efi
make bin-i386-efi/sky2.efi
make bin-i386-efi/sky2.efi DEBUG=sky2

None of them works. If I don't open the console, I see "o more network
devices" (with an o, not a 0).

Currently I've netboot working by loading a grub2 .efi file with a memdisk
image that contains a config file and kernel. I hope to replace this with a
solution that allows me to separate the boot loader, kernel and configuration.

Best regards,
Stefan