[ipxe-devel] Fake MAC address of a 82574L LAN-Chip

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 13:21:12 UTC 2012

On Thursday 02 Feb 2012 07:49:16 Robin Woodtli wrote:
> I have to fake the mac address for ipxe-boot.
> For this I will do in the ipxe script:
> ifclose net0
> set net0/mac 00:30:59:08:00:4C
> ifopen net0
> dhcp net0
>
> Then I become an Connection timed out. But before I do this, the dhcp
> works. Can you help me please

It looks as though the e1000 driver doesn't support changing the MAC address.
The e1000 driver is a (dubious quality) port from the Linux driver, and it
looks as though the part that sets the MAC address registers is called at
device creation time rather than at device open time.  This means that
changing net0/mac will have no effect.

Patches (or complete replacement drivers) are welcome!