[ipxe-devel] "Pre-embedding" a kernel within ipxe.pxe?

Matthew Helton mwhelton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 07:19:12 UTC 2012

The stray thought occured to me that instead of scripting
whitelists/blacklists by system model, or relying on external detection
methods (Syslinux or HDT) for NICs, could be ipxe.pxe be altered to carry
an alternate kernel within itself?

The concept would be that as part of the ipxe.pxe binary; it already has
undionly.kpxe embedded within it.

That way, if we do a simple check to see if the native iPXE can detect a
NIC, and if it fails we have a way to back out of it.

Example:

isset ${net0/mac:hexhyp} && goto next || boot undionly.kpxe

Am I insane?

Matt
--
There is never time enough to do it right, but there always seems to be
enough time to do it again.