[ipxe-devel] Recent tg3 driver commits still fail on gigabit

Brandon Penglase bpenglase-ipxe at spaceservices.net
Wed Aug 22 17:57:28 UTC 2012

Kevin,
	Thanks for getting back to us.
	It seems the only b57diag I've been able to find is from 2004 (or
earlier). The download I'm finding on the website is for b57udiag, which
doesn't seem to have the -b57eng option.
	When I use the one from 2004, I get "Invalid device 0 requested."
	I don't believe there is any sort of management on this machine that
would be involved. It's a Dell FX160, BIOS A07. It does have the
ImageServer option, but it is not currently enabled. According to the
b57udiag -dir it finds:
0 5764M:B0 02:00:0 Ex1 250 FEBF 10 128k/128k 00262d21e4ec 5764m-v3.35 W

	If it helps, I only have the problem when booting with a ipxe.usb thats
been DD'd to a 2gb thumb drive. I haven't tried a CD yet, but using the
built in UNDI to chainload to iPXE ends up working fine. I have used two
different gigabit switches, the original was a 16port Linksys one, the
current is a 8port Netgear GS108.

	Brandon Penglase

Kevin Tran ktran at broadcom.com
Tue Aug 21 23:49:47 BST 2012

Hi Brandon,

I tested iPXE with BCM5764m and it works fine for me even with 1G port
on the Dell 6224 switch.   I didn't test out all possible device
configurations yet.  We mainly focused our testing on BCM5719 devices.

Your problem might be due to the fact that management firmware is
enabled on the your setup .   I need to reproduce your problem in my
environment and I need the configuration of your NIC.

1. Enter engineering mode

     B57diag -b57eng

2. log mycfg.txt

3. dev

4. dir

5. secfg

6. press <enter> a few times and then type cancel.

7. close

All the configuration will be captured in the mycfg.txt.  Send me the
file mycfg.txt.

Thanks!

Kevin