[ipxe-devel] [1c838002] memtest86+.bin vs. memtest86.bin?

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Sat Aug 18 08:30:20 UTC 2012

On Friday 17 Aug 2012 21:44:41 Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	Indeed, a silly mistake on my part:
>
> chain /diskless/memtest86+.0
> boot || exit 1
>
> 	While it should've read something like:
>
> chain /diskless/memtest86+.0
> # deal with the exit code here somehow?
> goto menu

In full, something like:

  chain memtest.0 && goto memtest_ok || goto memtest_${errno}

  :memtest_ok
  echo Memory test passed
  exit

  :memtest_0x1
  echo Memory test failed
  exit

  :memtest_0x2
  echo Memory test did not complete
  exit

Note in particular that ${errno} is set only when an error occurs.

> 	… At the closer view, I don't seem to see any build options for
> 	Memtest86+ other than the .bin and ELF formats (or what was
> 	meant by “default memtest.bin” above?) and neither seems to boot
> 	under iPXE (though the error codes are different — the one for
> 	the ELF image is 0x2e018001, which corresponds to ENOEXEC in the
> 	code, AIUI.)
>
> 	Also, it seems that the “plain” Memtest86 uses the same format
> 	as Memtest86+, but is perfectly bootable under iPXE.

Check out the "pxe" branch from my memtest repository:

  http://git.ipxe.org/people/mcb30/memtest.git/shortlog/refs/heads/pxe

Type "make" and you should get memtest.0 built alongside the usual targets.