[ipxe-devel] Intel 82576 MAC swapping

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 11:32:38 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 07 Aug 2012 09:38:19 Kieran Evans wrote:
> The Intel pxe from agrees with Linux on the addresses I.e. the inverse of
> what iPXE thinks. Port 0 is 0c port 1 is 0d.

Thanks.

I can't think of a sensible explanation as to why both Intel PXE and Linux are
doing what seems to be the opposite of the documented behaviour.

It would be interesting to know what happens if the MAC address in the EEPROM
is changed to have bit 0 clear (i.e. change word 2 in the EEPROM from 0x0de4
to 0x0ce4).  iPXE would then treat port 0 as :0c and port 1 as :0d; I'd be
interested to know what Intel PXE and Linux would do.