[ipxe-devel] Win 2008r2 - sanboot image and install to iSCSI

Marek Salwerowicz marek_sal at wp.pl
Wed Aug 1 20:23:55 UTC 2012

Hi, thanks for your exhaustive answer ;)

W dniu 2012-08-01 22:07, Andrew Bobulsky pisze:

> If you're using the Undionly.kpxe or chainloaded ipxe.pxe builds,
> since you're working in VMware, just "install" iPXE into your VM, and
> save a template of that to make it easy for later.  I don't know WHY
> it has seemed to change things on occasion for me, but anything more
> "native" as far as the BIOS is concerned seems to behave better in my
> completely anecdotal experience.  Not to mention it loads faster!  Doc
> for it is here: http://ipxe.org/howto/vmware
I'm using it all the time ;)
currently version 1.0.0+1f88

> Map your installation disk as drive 0x80, like so:
>
> iPXE> sanhook --drive 0x80 iscsi:my.awesome.san::::my.awesome.target
>
> And, instead of booting the full 2008 ISO, just boot a minimal PE, and
> do it on a traditionally "optical" drive number:
>
> iPXE> sanboot --drive 0xA0 --no-describe
> http://my.web.server/images/WinPE_x64.iso

At this moment the WinPE loader will produce the error we all know:
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration
data.

That's why I am trying to produce the PXE(tftp)-bootable WinPE image.

If it works for you, maybe could you describe me your way of generating
WinPE image ?

Regards,

--
Marek