[ipxe-devel] Win 2008r2 - sanboot image and install to iSCSI

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Wed Aug 1 13:38:30 UTC 2012

On 01.08.2012 15:09, Marek Salwerowicz wrote:
> iPXE> boot winpex86.iso iso raw
> i get:
> Could not boot: Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e008001)

That is not correct syntax. You can't execute an ISO as a Network Boot
Program (NBP). You must either use sanboot to simulate the ISO as a HDD
with a CD filesystem, or run an NBP (like memdisk) that is capable of
doing something quite similar to what sanboot does.

Remember that when you chainload memdisk (from my example as ../memdisk)
this is just another program that you have on either a TFTP or HTTP
server. I notice you get connection timed out error, which might
indicate that ../memdisk is an invalid URL in your case and you should
use an absolute URL to avoid confusion.

-- Robin