[ipxe-devel] GSoC

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Tue Apr 3 06:42:13 UTC 2012

On 03.04.2012 05:13, Fahrudin Paljus wrote:
> You just added at main.c
> 31: #define RED     "\033[31m"
> and modify
> 87: "User name:" RED "Ivan Mudrak\n" NORMAL "Features:" );

..which is exactly the kind of modification we'd like to see you do in
the exploratory phase. It shows that you know how to navigate the
codebase and find the location needed to add a small amount of code for
some small amount of change. Good work, Ivan!

The D-Link DGE-528T network card with the PCI ID 1186:4300 is supposed
to be supported by the r8169 driver, according to line 2212 in r8169.c:

PCI_ROM(0x1186, 0x4300, "rtl8169-0x4300", "rtl8169-0x4300", RTL_CFG_0),

You might want to send in a patch for making the name read "D-Link
DGE-528T" instead of just "rtl8169-0x4300". We like names that match the
physical hardware naming of the devices. And it would also be advisable
to test that the adapter indeed works with the native ipxe driver.

Fahridun asked here on the mailing list, and also in the forum for input
on what driver/card people would like supported. I really suggest that
people go in there and tell us what they have (especially things that do
not work properly), as it would help (all) the students in determening
what driver they should send in a proposal for if they plan on working
on driver development. Please be quick, though, the deadline for
applying to GSoC is the 6th of April, and prospective candidates will
probably need a day's advance to think about the replies.

So wake up and give us that feedback about what hardware you'd like
supported. Now is the time to act!

This is the thread in the forum:
http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=2954

-- Robin