[ipxe-devel] BCM5751M Question

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 15:45:55 UTC 2011

On Sunday 18 Sep 2011 15:17:27 Wes Frazier wrote:
> How can I determine if a network card supports a rom larger than 64kb?
> How can I tell if a network card supports a mrom image?

You can tell this from the output of lspci -v.

To support a ROM (.rom or .mrom) larger than 64kB, the expansion ROM BAR must
be larger than 64kB.

To support a .mrom image, the card must:

  a) have an expansion ROM BAR at least as large as the .mrom image
  b) have a memory BAR at least as large as the expansion ROM BAR

For example, suppose that your card has a 128kB expansion ROM BAR and a 256kB
memory BAR.  The card would then be able to support a .mrom image of up to
128kB.

I've added a trivial Perl script to perform these calculations automatically:

  ./util/romcheck.pl
  00:1f.3 (8086:3a60)
  00:1f.5 (8086:3a06)
  01:00.0 (1186:4300) supports a 128kB .rom or .mrom
  01:01.0 (11c1:5811)

Hope that helps.