[ipxe-devel] I think i have found a work around for hung bios in iscsi install

Sam Ballinger vk3hbu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 12:11:00 UTC 2011

I think i have found a work around for hung bios in iscsi install,

I have been playing with the source I'm not 100% with your source code
structure so you guys might be able to implement this better then i have,

Basically when the system tried to boot from san  / iscsi and there is no os
on the partion , its reporting the 80h messsage witch is kinda stating it
timed out looking for boot sector .

I found by adding a touch of asm to call int 18h before it calls the exit
functions you have in place that can cause it to hang waiting for the
dreaded "press any key to reboot" that i can force it to look for rom basic
witch no longer exists in roms and then would look for boot media .

This dose tend to print some messages that might be able to be repressed how
ever I'm not sure how to do that at this stage .

If you can live with a  messages that says

"No ROM BASIC"

< you could add a clear screen command to hide it i guess >

Please insert media and press any key .

Might be a solutions until a better work around exists .

Any thoughts please let me know .

Sam B.