[ipxe-devel] [WISHLIST] WoL & ARPing

Vincent Pelletier plr.vincent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 08:11:09 UTC 2011

Hi.

I've successfuly used IPXE to boot a home setup with linux root fs on a NAS.
Thanks a lot for this nice piece of software. Especially for the ability of
chain-loading it.

I've then toyed with the idea of waking my NAS when a computer has its root on
it. Sadly, I realised it won't work in my current setup for two reasons:
- the NAS is used to chainload IPXE (my router's integrated DHCP is not
  configurable for netboot...)
- its network card is not kept powered on

Neverhteless, I thought it would be nice to have the following commands in
IPXE:
- arping, to check if some device is running (and maybe get its IP
  address, althgouh I see rarp is already in the source)
- wakeonlan, to wake such device if found to be off

As it won't work in my setup, I'm not sure I will have the motivation to work
on this (shouldn't be too hard though) and I thought it might be good to
mention it on this list.

(Note: please CC me when replying, I'm off-list)

Regards,
--
Vincent Pelletier