[ipxe-devel] iPXE ISO fails to boot on an OpenSource Xen VM

Charles Watt cwatt at racemi.com
Wed Oct 5 21:31:18 UTC 2011

Yes.  This comes off a VM running on a Xen 3.1.2 system from about 2007.
I've tested with Xen 3.4.3, and 4.1.1 and do not have this issue.
Unfortunately, the infrastructure that I need to deploy is on the older
system and it will not be upgraded any time soon.

Line 1 of the main program prints the "initialising devices ..." message,
which doesn't get displayed.  So I'm guessing that either:

1) the older IsoLinux has trouble and doesn't really load ipxe.krn, or
2) there is something in the older Xen's emulation of the console that is
    causing a problem.

In either case it doesn't look like I'll get any debugging information
from the console.

>  On 10/3/2011 11:48, Charles Watt wrote:
>  >/  I've pulled and built the top of the tree and tested the ipxe.iso on
/>  >/  numerous physical servers, VMware, KVM, HyperV, and Citrix XenServer,
/>  >/  all with success.  But when booted on an OpenSource Xen VM (in KVM
/>  >/  mode) it appears to hang at the "Loading ipxe.krn .......... Ready."
/>  >/  line (see attached image).  Then after a few seconds the VM halts.
/>  >/
>  />/  Can anyone give me some suggestions on where to look?  What modules
/>  >/  should I recompile with DEBUG?
/>