[ipxe-devel] Native drivers AND fallback UNDI in a PXE image possbile?

Floris Bos / Maxnet bos at je-eigen-domein.nl
Thu Nov 17 00:10:25 UTC 2011

On 11/17/2011 12:34 AM, Sven Dreyer wrote:
> Am 17.11.2011 00:16, schrieb Floris Bos / Maxnet:
>> That might be the problem...
>> Does it support the spanning tree protocol, and is that enabled?
>
> The switch is an unmanaged one, so unluckily there is no possibility
> to change any settings.
>
> Maybe this is a STP-related thing, but shouldn't the network card's
> PXE implementation which ran DHCP and TFTP seconds before (to load
> iPXE) have also failed?

Is the network card's PXE implementation able to get a DHCP lease right
away, or does it also take a while?
What we noticed is that most network card PXE implementations have much
higher timeouts than iPXE, and do not give up that easily.

When iPXE initializes the network card, it seems the network link
briefly goes down and up again, and this causes STP-enabled switches to
start the waiting period over again.

--
Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos