[ipxe-devel] Native drivers AND fallback UNDI in a PXE image possbile? (was: Re: uncompressed (patchable) image?)

Sven Dreyer sven at dreyer-net.de
Tue Nov 15 12:02:15 UTC 2011

Am 15.11.2011 02:15, schrieb Yixuan Huang:
> I am using make bin/ipxe--undi.iso

Thanks Yixuan, I did

make bin/ipxe--undi.pxe
make bin/ipxe--undi.kpxe

In my network, there are two notebooks with an "Attansic Technology
Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)" network
chip which is not supported by iPXE. But both notebooks support PXE boot.

So I hoped to be able to build an iPXE image, which I can serve via TFTP
and which tries to use a native driver first and - if that's not
possible - fallback to the UNDI driver.

The reason for that is the native drivers often are a lot faster than
the UNDI implementation.

What happens on the two mentioned notebooks: they boot, get the
"ipxe--undi.pxe" or "ipxe--undi.kpxe" file via TFTP, start iPXE and then
do not see any network device.

Did I overlook something? Any hints appreciated.

Thanks,
Sven