[ipxe-devel] Confirm Possible mishandling of http port when http auth is used.

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri May 6 17:24:49 UTC 2011

On Thursday 05 May 2011 23:28:46 Andrew Stuart wrote:
> Is there a way to compile with more (debug) information for http.c and
> associated files?

Yes. Add DEBUG=http to your build command line.  For example:

  make bin/ipxe.iso DEBUG=http

More information about debugging builds is available at

  http://ipxe.org/download#debug_builds

> This is also repeatable without the use of pxelinux.0 calling menu.c32
> from syslinux 3.86. The initial menu load has authentication, subsequent
> requests do not.

I've lost track of your setup, sorry.  Could you describe it in fewer words?

> Looking through http.c, it appears if I did turn on http auth in the
> webserver, that iPXE would respond accordingly?

At present, iPXE will provide authentication details if and only if they are
specified in the URI.

Other protocols (e.g. iSCSI) use the username and password implicitly: if
authentication is required by the server then the contents of ${username} and
${password} will be used automatically.  It would be possible to make http.c
behave this way, if you wanted to do so.