[ipxe-devel] ipxe configuration files, forum

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 23:13:29 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 30 Mar 2011 23:16:34 AT - HE wrote:
> i am trying to discover and use ipxe .. i think is a terrific piece of
> software

Thank you!

> however is a bit difficult to customize, not all can (or know) always
> compile code
>
> is there an option to "include" config files?

You can include an embedded script, which I think is what you want.  There's
some documentation about this at

  http://ipxe.org/scripting#embedded_scripts

At the moment, this still requires you to compile iPXE, but you don't have to
modify any source code.  All you need to do is create a custom script such as
my_script.ipxe:

  #!ipxe
  dhcp
  chain http://server/fixed-boot-url

and then build iPXE using

  make bin/undionly.kpxe EMBEDDED_IMAGE=my_script.ipxe

(assuming that undionly.kpxe is the type of iPXE binary that you want to use).

> .. that way default binary package could have an integrated reference to
> "include default.ipxe", which maybe can be loaded aside "boot.kpxe" binary
> using the same protocol before run .. this could give us the freedom and
> ease to write a "default.ipxe" config file according with our needs and
> without needing of edit and recompile entire code

At some point soon(ish), there will be a web interface that allows you to
build iPXE images without having to compile it yourself.  At this point in
time, you do need to compile.

> can you install a forum? .. is a bit difficult to share ideas, get help and
> communicate with you

You can use this mailing list, or if you want more interaction you can join
the IRC channel (#ipxe on irc.freenode.net).  There are usually around 30
people in the IRC channel (including me), and many of us would be happy to
help you there.